Classes and Schedule
click below or call for information
6:00pm to 7:00pm
7:00pm to 8:00pm
8:00pm to 9:00pm
7:00pm to 7:45pm Adult Ballet
7:45pm to 8:30pm Adult Jazz
6:30pm to 7:30pm
Acrobatics – All Levels
7:30pm to 8:30 pm
It is my pleasure to welcome you to the Janette Brown Studio of Dance Web site. We offer curricula in Ballet, Tap, Jazz, Pointe, and Hawaiian dance, but we are proud to say that we teach more than just dance steps. The faculty also helps to instill our students with positive traits of high morals, high self-esteem, self-pride, responsibility, self-discipline, teamwork, and the realization that, if they strive, they can achieve.
The Janette Brown Studio of Dance prides itself on being one of the most professional dance studios in the Maryland area and also presenting one of the most professional productions of amateur dancers.
Thank you so much for taking the time to explore our dance studio, and please don’t hesitate to call with any questions you may have.
I look forward to seeing you soonMiss Janette
About Miss Janette
Miss Janette has owned and operated her dance studio since 1967. She is a member of Dance Educators and the Dance Masters of America. Miss Janette is proud to have served as the National President of Dance Masters of America from 2000 – 2004. Both organizations require that dance teachers be tested in all subjects of dance that they teach in order to become a member. Miss Janette was also appointed as Convention Chairman for the organization’s national convention in the summer of 2006. She also served as a new administrator of the Dance Masters Teacher’s Training School, which was held in the summer of 2006. Additionally, Miss Janette is on a staff of three who travel the country to give seminars on the examination process for Dance Masters.
As a nationally recognized competition judge and master teacher, Miss Janette has taught classes and judged throughout North America. Various competitions, events, and classes have taken her to New Orleans, Philadelphia, Toronto, Connecticut, Missouri, Florida, Las Vegas, North Carolina, Texas, Oklahoma, Virginia, Ohio, and California. She recently had the pleasure of teaching several master ballet classes for the Harford Community College.
Not only has Miss Janette taught across the U.S. and Canada, but she has taught extensively throughout Maryland for various organizations, including the Maryland Council for Dance. Miss Janette was the Artistic Director for the Nutcracker at Harford Community College for 2 years, the Convention Chairman for the National Convention for 2 years and most recently, judged competition and taught tap in Mexico City.
One of Miss Janette’s students if now peforming in Disney World and another student has just been accepted by Disney at auditions held Orlando, Florida.
Remember, the Federal Government does NOT require a license in order to teach dance. A Dance Masters certificate is your assurance that your child is receiving the best dance education available in the country
- Black leotard
- Pink tights
- Black tap shoes
- Pink ballet shoes
- Any solid colored leotard
- Pink or tan tights
- Tan tap shoes
- Pink ballet shoes
- Check with Miss Janette for the specific color and style for your class.
- Long hair must be pulled off of the face and secured.
- No jewelry.
- No T-shirts.
- Clothes must not be loose-fitting, as the teacher needs to be able to observe body placement and movements.
- Children under the age of 8 are given a one-hour class, consisting of 30 minutes of tap and 30 minutes of ballet.
- Students 8 years of age and older are give a one-hour class for each discipline they wish to study.
- Students who have had prior dance training elsewhere must be auditioned for class placement.
- Students interested in taking pointe should be at least 12 years of age and have at least 3 years of a one-hour ballet class. Two ballet classes are required for pointe work (one hour ballet and one hour pointe). Going on pointe is at the teacher’s discretion, because only she can tell if a student is ready.
- Classes not meeting our quota are subject to cancellation.
- If there are any health problems, please notify the studio. All information is confidential.
- If, for reasons of illness only, your child cannot attend class, you may make arrangements with Miss Janette to make-up the lesson in another class. Good attendance is a must for consistent training.
- Perfect attendance trophies will be awarded at the end of the year only if your child has attended all of his/her classes. Make-up classes do not count toward the award.
- Non-dancing children in the waiting room must remain seated and are not to be left unattended.
- There will be no visitors permitted into the classrooms other than on regularly scheduled days.
- No one may enter a studio without a faculty member present.
- There is a non-refundable, $15 registration fee.
- Tuition, costumes, shoes, and dance accessories may be paid for by cash, check, money order, or credit card.
- Anyone who has had two checks returned for insufficient funds must pay in cash or by money order. There is a $25 fee for returned checks.
- There are no refunds on tuition, nor may tuition be transferred from one student’s account to another.
- A costume deposit of $25 per costume will be due in October.
- The studio must be notified of any dropped classes. You will be held responsible for tuition payments until we have received formal notice of a dropped class.
- All tuition is due the first lesson of each month.
- Any student who is behind in payments will not be permitted to take class.
- Classes will be cancelled due to inclement weather when Hartford County schools close. When in doubt, call the studio for the recorded message after 3:00pm.
- A monthly newsletter is published with all important information, such as school closing information and items of interest to all. Please check your child’s dance bag periodically for our newsletters.